Friday 18 December 2009

Secret Santa

Awwhh...looks like am not going to get my very own Secret-Santa gift after all.
What a shame! Let me tell you all about it....

Well, I am a Santa-Elf (and don’t ask me how I got recruited by Santa, I just did) as the Secret -Santa idea came from my department at work. We had it all planned out. We will ask around and if everyone was down with it, we will proceed to do it for christmas. Emails were sent out and responses started flooding in....yes, am in! ............Of Course! Count me in............Oh, I hate Christmas but what the heck I’ll do it!
Even colleagues who worked outside the boundaries of the city where the headquarters of the company is located couldn’t resist the urge to be part of the Secret -Santa fun and so they all opted in as they were given the special treatment of being assigned a name picker to pick a name for them from the ‘Mystery Santa Hat’.

Names were collated, printed, cut-out, folded and put in the ‘Mystery Santa Hat’.
Some rules were laid out as you would know if you do this every year (It’s not like I am suggesting that you do not have better things to do with your time every christmas and I do appreciate that some people do actually get some work done at their place of work while some do not...and I am not referring to the Santa Department...hehehehe).
*Each person gets to pick a name from the Hat
*If you pick your name, return it and pick another
*Do not disclose the name you have picked.
*Get a gift of no more than £5
*Gifts will be put into Santa’s sack and will then be distributed at the Christmas party we will be having.

Everyone was excited and even more excited when the name-picking day came around. With just a phone call to notify people of the arrival of Santa’s elves with the mystery hat, people trooped in to pick names out of the hat and whilst some left with huge grins on their faces, others left uttering swear words under their breaths. Need I say that not everyone was pleased with their name pick as people picked names of a person who they had never spoken to but is that no the very essence? Just buy a gift and forget it and guess what? The person doesn’t even have to know you bought it....hahahaha (I am happy about that)

As for me...hmmm, I wasn’t too bothered with the name I picked. I was a bit bothered about what to get this person (Were you waiting for me to say him or her) but after a few trips to the shops, I finally got something. I could only wish someone like Jeremy had picked my name though as he said he was going to just pop into a shop and get a gift within the £10 region. I can only but wait till the Christmas party to find out what my Secret Santa person had gotten me.

Finally, today is the Christmas party and I all I have been thinking about is my Secret Santa gift. I checked on Santa’s sack and it was obviously bulging. I was still wondering about what I would be getting when my manger came in and gave me this very sad news.

Ahem....Stella....I have bad news. Your Secret Santa will not be able to make it to the Christmas party because of the disruptions to the roads (this is due to snow as it’s been snowing since yesterday like the end of the world has come).

I was absolutely gutted. He went ahead to say that I would get the gift somebody else had put in the sack for my Secret Santa and if I do not like it, anytime this person comes around, I can then get my real gift. Well, what can I say....???
I can only but wait to open a Secret Santa gift this evening that wasn’t actually meant to be mine. All of a sudden, the christmas party has lost its allure to me. I will let you know about this gift once it arrives so stay tuned.

1 comment:

KOSH said...

Awwww, santa baby.....